[Mageia-dev] Freeze push: desktop-common-data

David Walser luigiwalser at yahoo.com
Sun Mar 3 00:24:16 CET 2013

nicolas vigier wrote:
> On Sat, 02 Mar 2013, David Walser wrote:
>
>> nicolas vigier wrote:

>> > It was not working. You can try with a script like this to check that it
>> > doesn't work :
>> >   #!/bin/sh
>> >   TEXTEDITOR="xvt -e vim"
>> >   $TEXTEDITOR $@
>> >
>> > It opens a new terminal with vim inside, but does not open the file.
>> >
>> > Also opening a new terminal when you are already in a terminal is not
>> > very nice.
>>
>> It was working fine, I tested it when I wrote it.  Do you even know what this script is for?
>
> It doesn't work, and it's easy to see why it cannot work.
>
> A lot of script coming from Debian use /usr/bin/editor and expect it to
> open an editor in the same terminal. If you need a script that always
> open a graphical editor and does not open the file that is given on
> command line you should probably give it an other name.

This thing wasn't created for use with Debian scripts, it was created for the Text Editor toolbar button in IceWM.  It was originally called
xte, but that conflicted with some other package, so dams renamed it to editor.  If that name is causing problems, feel free to rename it
again (we'll have to update IceWM for the new name).  But the old script as it was worked fine.  Please restore it.