[Mageia-artwork] Starting

Romain d'Alverny rdalverny at gmail.com
Fri Nov 5 14:16:39 CET 2010

Hi everyone,

so the list is set up, and we can start, although we here is the list
of existing icons/artwork that we have to remake for
our first Mageia release:

So, first steps for this team:
 - coordinate and design the distribution artwork guidelines from a
technical point of view and from a design point of view; I repost
below one mail I sent already to the before-list;
 - reception of the selected logo (not yet decided), logo usage
guidelines, making sure we have it all square for archives, derivative
uses, etc;
 - website; as said before, we need to setup the web and communication
teams and start to scope the website first (goals, information
architecture, layout, wireframes, requirements) before you have some
specs, but that will be a public discussion anyway.
 - you need to have, further than a permanent available IRC channel
contact (say, #mageia-artwork?), a regular meeting, say once per week
at least (keep it short, under 30 min.) to have everyone in sync; this
will be important so that your team representative and lead are in
sync for weekly Council meetings as well (happening on Monday 18/19
UTC slot most likely); a good meeting is bound in time, bound in
topic, has a publicly archived log and a summary;

As for a sharing work space, still seeing with the sysadm team about a
webdav space. In the meantime, is there any public/shared storage
provider out there you could use, if needed?

I will update the http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=designers page in
the coming minutes for various topics (tools, contacts, team list,
tasks, etc.). Feel free to edit and to comment here.

(copy from previous mail)
About distribution artwork and icons:
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=artwork:icons

Note that:
 - this list may not be comprehensive at this time;
 - before anything else, we need to define our artwork guidelines for
icons; external help may be needed and guidelines from other projects
can be really a good start;
 - default/placeholder icons/artwork should be done first (for
not-yet-final-available artwork);
 - not sure how to start this, could be good to:
  * inventory visually all that is contained in the above list; have
a gallery for that?
  * amend guidelines accordingly to discovered needs;
  * coordinate with concerned packagers;
  * ?

Links:
 * http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=designers