[Mageia-dev] Mageia repository sections, licenses, restrictions, firmware etc

Luca Berra bluca at vodka.it
Tue Oct 12 22:04:38 CEST 2010

On Tue, Oct 12, 2010 at 06:02:38PM +0300, Anssi Hannula wrote:
>== Do we want a separated core repository?
>
>No separated core: Fedora, Debian, Opensuse
>Separated core: Mandriva (main), Ubuntu (main), Arch (Core)

i think so, main+contrib is about 20G and some stuff is not really
maintained.

>== What will be officially supported?
>
> - And what does that mean?
being a non profit, everything that shall be officially supported must
have a sponsor. orphans are not supportable.

>== How are the sections named? :)
>
>I think I'm in favor of renaming 'contrib' to 'extra'.
sounds nice to me

>== Where do redistributable firmware go (Radeon graphics, Intel WLAN, TG3
>ethernet, etc)?
>
>To main repository: Arch, Fedora, Opensuse, Ubuntu
>To the non-free repository: Debian
>Case-by-case arbitrary decision: Mandriva
>
>If we want to separate non-free firmware à la Debian, I guess one option would
>be a separate firmware repository... or we could make free-only installation
>an expert option. Certainly we want tg3 ethernet and radeon to work on a
>standard installation, and for this we really need the firmware.
>
>I'd probably prefer to put them in main (as all non-Debian ones) but do some
>metapackage magic (or similar) to allow blacklisting them easily for those who
>want to.
I'm in favor of some kind of separation, if it is by creating a firmware
repo or some packaging magik it is merely a technical question.

>== Where do firmware without license go (DVB, V4L, etc)?
>
>To unsupported non-free repository: Ubuntu (multiverse) [1],
>To unsupported repository without binary packages: Arch (AUR)
>Nowhere: Debian, Fedora, Opensuse, Mandriva
>
>I guess for this one I'd prefer a helper draktool to handle/download these
>instead of shipping them ourselves.
this sounds a nice idea, or do something like the plf flash-player
package

>== What about patents?

I agree with Olivier on this, mageia as an association should protect
itself from being sued in France, apart from that we should be actively
fighting patents ;)

>== If we choose a separate core repository, should we do something regarding
>   OOo and java?
>(there are a million java packages with tight interdependencies, and due to
>OOo requiring some of those, we need to ship the whole web in main)
>

>== Do we allow P2P file transfer software?
>
>Yes: Arch, Debian, Fedora, Ubuntu
>No, except torrents: Mandriva
>Unknown, at least torrents allowed: Opensuse
if the software is free, yes
Ptp is not illegal anywere, transferring copyrighted materal without
authorization usually is.

>== And gaming emulators?

again, if the software is free, yes

>== And DVDCSS, etc?
>Allowed: Arch
>Not allowed: Debian, Fedora, Mandriva, Opensuse, Ubuntu
>
>This should probably be 'no'.
I'd say yes, in europe it should fall under the interoperability case.

Luca Berra -- bluca at vodka.it