[Mageia-dev] Mirror tree structure

Olivier Thauvin nanardon at nanardon.zarb.org
Wed Oct 20 18:34:24 CEST 2010

Hi,

You can find here:
http://distrib-coffee.ipsl.jussieu.fr/pub/linux/Mageia/
the current mirror tree proposal.
We now have to discuss it, I think.

Here notes:

The 'mageia_timestamp' is a file updated on the main server every 5
minutes. It allow to check is a mirror synced or not

Comparing to mandriva there is no more split between devel/stable, all
distributions goes into distribs/ and all isos file into iso/.

The updates/ tree disapear, avoiding some possible dependencies issues
in updates rpms.

The peoples/ directory is dedicated to contributors and must allow
anyone to share files related to the distribution (testing rpms,
preworks) in an unofficial ways.
How this can be setup in practice still have to be discuss.

Finally the software/ directory should allow you to distribute the
tarball (not rpm) for software we do. As soon we do free software people
must be able to distribute our code in the same way any projects does.
Replies like "svn is readable" or "we have rpm" is not appropriated.

Now come the question: "what is a valid mirror ?", eg, what a mirror
should have as file to be valid ?

I suggest to not give the choice and avoid mistake by saying except
"peoples" a mirror must respect the whole tree to be valid.
This mean everything must exists with this structure under the top level
path.
This way may avoid issues like mandriva on ibiblio (only 2005 and 2007.1
seems to exists...)
ftp://ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/mandriva/Mandrivalinux/

Comment and idea welcome.

Regards.

--

Olivier Thauvin