[Mageia-dev] Repository question: where do we put non-free+tainted RPMs?

Florian Hubold doktor5000 at arcor.de
Tue Jul 26 11:19:31 CEST 2011

Hello,

as this discussion has come to a standstill, could we please restart this to
get some results
and some decisions? This is going on for some months, back and forth and seems we
have come nowhere.

Or has there already been some progress, which i have overseen, besides this:
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=software_inclusion_policy
http://mageia.org/wiki/doku.php?id=software_patents_policy

As far as FAAC is concerned, if we can't have this in the repos because it
supposedly contains
code based on the <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO>ISO MPEG-4 reference code,
whose license is not compatible with the
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GNU_Lesser_General_Public_License>LGPL
license, according to wikipedia.
Then why do we have FAAD2 in the repos, which seems to contain copyrighted code
from german
Nero AG? Citing wikipedia from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FAAC#Licensing

    FAAD2 is licensed under the GPL v2 (and later GPL versions). Code from
    FAAD2 is copyright
    of Nero AG (the "appropriate copyright message" mentioned in section 2c of
    the GPLv2).
    The source code contains a note that the use of this software may require
    the payment
    of patent royalties.