[Mageia-dev] Backports policy clarification (and discussion)

Samuel Verschelde stormi at laposte.net
Fri Jun 8 10:38:06 CEST 2012

I re-read the backports policy, and there's a part I think needs to be pointed
out before people start to backport packages.

"We need to ensure that upgrades never fail: cauldron must always have a
higher version/release than in stable releases."

This statement is true, but implies more than what it says. It means that we
can't backport a package for Mageia 1 with a higher version than what we have
in Mageia 2 release (and updates?) media. And this, until we are able to take
backports into account during upgrades.

Example :
- Mageia 2 has wesnoth 1.10.2 in core/release
- Mageia 1 can't get a higher version in its backports media

Do you all agree with my understanding of the policy ?

This is a serious limitation to our ability to backport to Mageia (n-1) and
even to our ability to provide security fixes to backports there (will not
prevent it, but will prevent to do it by a version upgrade, which is the
common way to fix that kind of issue in backports).

Maybe we shouldn't open backports for Mageia 1, and make sure upgrade to
Mageia 3 can take backports from Mageia 2 into account so that backports to
Mageia 2 are not stopped when Mageia 3 is released. Then we'll be safe.

Samuel