[Mageia-dev] installing minimal is not really that minimal

Olav Vitters olav at vitters.nl
Thu Mar 22 12:18:30 CET 2012

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 10:31:04AM +0100, Thierry Vignaud wrote:
> On 22 March 2012 09:49, Olav Vitters <olav at vitters.nl> wrote:
> > If your comment starts off with a:
> > "You're playing with words here, task-gnome can be replaced by"
> >
> > while my intention is well meaning and not "playing with words", then I
> > my first thought is not anywhere near constructive.
> >
> > The bugreport was opened about KDE. I gave a solution for KDE. Instead I
> > get accusations about playing with words. I care about GNOME and giving
> > a full experience. If people want a more minimal install to the
> > detriment of GNOME, then I don't like it.
> >
> > I have 0 interest in getting more accusations about "doesn't care". I
> > gave up maintainership because of the tone, allowing you to do whatever.
> > That this is still not good enough, blergh!
>
> My phrasing wasn't the best one, I can agree with that.
> But you did closed the bug as WONTFIX b/c I wrote "task-gnome" instead
> of "task-gnome-minimal".
> I think you can admit this wasn't fair, can't you?

I already closed it before your comment about task-gnome. The comment
you gave before (comment 3) was only about why it was added
historically. You even quoted the original reason for adding it:
| without Seahorse, there's no way to manage your gnome-keyring passwords

The bug was raised because of KDE, I was looking at it from that point
of view. You care about a minimal install, but that was not what the bug
was reported for nor what I was thinking about.

I closed it with because to me, if you don't want GNOME things in KDE,
then don't put GNOME things in CAT_KDE. And "totem-mozilla" is to me a
GNOME thing, not GTK thing. The WONTFIX is because for this specific
bugreport (KDE install having GNOME stuff), the problem is
"totem-mozilla" in KDE.

That this suggests also has an affects the minimal install, ok, but the
dependency was added (according to your comment) 1.5 years ago. So if
this dependency was ok 1.5 years ago, why not now? (read on before
replying please:)
Now if in those 1.5 years things changed (dependency changes, etc) and
this dependency now suddenly affects the minimal install, then yeah, I
think moving the suggests somewhere else makes sense.

But I didn't close it because of the minimal install. Only because of
looking at what it was filed for: KDE dependency problems.

Every time I touch task-gnome-minimal there is a huge discussion that
the change is somehow bad/imperfect/something. I don't like that. I mean
well and if task-gnome-minimal causes loads of complaints, then anything
related to it I rather avoid.

--
Regards,
Olav