[Mageia-discuss] Mandriva is switching to rpm5, and other news

Maarten Vanraes maarten.vanraes at gmail.com
Fri Dec 3 11:36:57 CET 2010

Op vrijdag 03 december 2010 10:21:38 schreef andre999:
> Maarten Vanraes a écrit :

> >> - i forgot to paste the best part:
> >>
> >> "I’m curious about what stance Mageia will take on this though, I’m
> >> certainly hoping they will adopt our work and allow for us to help them
> >> and contribute back and forth, if not I fear they’ll miss out on several
> >> changes in just perl-URPM done recently during rpm5 rewrite, and even
> >> more so those planned when rpm5 upgrade situtation settles.."

> > well, i'm not adverse to cooperation, but RPM5 is in my opinion FAR too
> > unstable to be used for use on our first release.
> >
> > I would say, let mandriva find the bugs first and let it give rpm5 a
> > testrun with their users; by the time we hit our second release, we will
> > have a for sure stable version of it.
>
> I've been following RPM5 (and the associated urpm4) on cooker for a
> while now ...
> All 3 stories come from the person integrating rpm5 into Mandriva - he
> was recently hired to do just that, with full support of management.
> To me it looks like rpm5 itself won't be the big problem - rather
> changing the urpmi tools and adapting the build system to work with it.
> Not sure which way Mageia should go at first, but the newer versions of
> their tools will be based on rpm5.
> It was interesting how cooker wasn't warned of the changes - suddenly
> many developers were left unable to do any anything, until Per fixed the
> bugs he created.  And then they learned about the planned switch.
> A perfect example of how NOT to do things :)

indeed, noone said anything, but that is how i felt.

The thing is, that cooker testers are a bunch of people who do things in more
or less the same way; i fear regular users might do stuff another way.

imo, i think/fear Mandriva will (after they release) have some RPM5 issues
that regular users will be impacted of.

I would take the sure road, and keep our working tools at level before the
upgrade; and follow up the stuff that happens.

imo, if we don't use rpm5 right now, we lose nothing; i'm sure it'll be an
improvement; however, is it necessary at this moment? i think not.

imo the risk outweighs the benefits at this time. especially since we're short
on time.

> It is good that Per is open to cooperation - his experiences will be a
> big asset when we do follow suit - which I expect we will, sooner or later.
> Maarten, have you taken a close look at it ?

I'm had discussions with Per around the time of the forking. however, i (and
others) feel that we need to structure ourselves first before going down that
route.

I think after the release (and org structure will be stable) we could very
well start the talks, imho.

thing to keep in mind is that Mandriva is backed by a company and we by our
non-profit organisation, the last thing i would want to do is taint the
organisation, so we need to be careful there.