[Mageia-discuss] Support of Mageia in BigTop

Bruno Mahe bruno.mahe at laposte.net
Sun Aug 28 23:05:47 CEST 2011

On 08/26/2011 01:04 AM, Bruno Mahe wrote:
> On 08/25/2011 01:53 PM, Reinout van Schouwen wrote:
>> Hi Bruno,
>>
>> 2011/8/14 Bruno Mahe <bruno.mahe at laposte.net>:
>>
>>> I don't know how many fans of hadoop there are around here, but I
>>> recently added support for Mageia in BigTop. This is not yet checked in
>>> and in a release, but it means anyone can now build or install packages
>>> for the following projects (descriptions taken from their respective
>>> website):
>> I know a little bit about Hadoop but BigTop is new to me. I found
>> https://github.com/cloudera/bigtop/wiki but it's not quite clear to me
>> what I need to do to build a Mageia package. Could you elaborate a bit
>> on this subject please?
>>
> Hi Reinout,
>
> First of all, BigTop is now an Apache Incubator project. So all
> informations are located here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/projects/bigtop.html
>
> I also put on the wiki a small faq explaining how to build a component:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/BIGTOP/Frequently+Asked+Questions+%28FAQ%29#FrequentlyAskedQuestions%28FAQ%29-HowtobuildacomponentofBigTop%3F
> But in a nutshell, you should just have to type: "make <component>-rpm"
> where component is one of the following value "flume  hadoop  hbase
> hive  oozie  pig  sqoop  whirr  zookeeper"
> You could also just type "make rpm" to build RPMs for all the projects.
>

> You will also find a list of dependencies needed to build Hadoop here:
> http://incubator.apache.org/bigtop/
> Note Forrest 0.8 (documentation generation tool used by hadoop and pig)
> will only work on with a 32bit 1.5 JDK. This should be only needed for
> building Hadoop.
>

> And also, in the "test" directory, you will find a testing framework
> (along with some tests) to automatically do:
> * package testing  (checking files attributes, checking packages
> metadata, ensuring service scripts perform as expected...)
> * smoke testing to ensure correct basic usage of each component
> * integration testing to ensure interoperability between each component
>

> I hope this answer your questions. But feel free to let me know if you
> encounter any issue.
> Don't hesitate also to join BigTop mailing list.
>
> Thanks,
> Bruno

I also just put online the packages I use.
So if you don't feel to build them, but to play with them, feel free to
do a:
urpmi.addmedia  BigTop "http://www.bmahe.net/repos/BigTop/mageia/1/x86_64/"

So far I have only focused on getting things built and installable. And
will start focusing on ensuring they do work as expected :)

Note that I don't guarantee anything about that repository, although I
will try to update it from time to time.