[Mageia-discuss] Good work on upgrades!

Daniel mandriva at daik.se
Thu Jan 3 07:01:37 CET 2013

Hello Mageia team.
In the last few days I did a dist upgrade on my Mageia 1 system. I moved
to Mageia 2. Now I've done a few dist upgrades in my time and I must say
that instructions on the mageia site were clear about what I needed to
do. As always a few things happened that were unexpected. First off, I
picked in the update applet that I wanted to download all packages before
the upgrade. As my / file-system would not hold all packages I created
one in my home dir (non-root), and clicked go. It starts and then tells
me that the directory has the wrong permissions. However I can not adjust
which directory it downloads to, nor does it tell me what permissions it
needed (I think it said "wrong owner" but I am not certain). Anyway I
restarted the upgrade without first downloading the packages and it all
went smoothly.

After the upgrade Evolution did not have any mailboxes nor any mails. I
sort of expected this and it is a problem with Gnome/Evolution rather
than than Magieia. I followed the instructions I found on the net
regarding migrating from mbox to mdir and things were peaches again.

Second was that I only had a "suspend" rather than "power off" button in
Gnome shell. I know this was a Gnome decision, so I went looking for the
gnome-shell-extensions but could not find them in the repository. I found
the bug-report that asked for them to be removed. To that regard I built
them myself from the Fedora 17 SRPMS (Fedora 17 runs the same Gnome
version as Mageia 2). And they work fine.

I put them up on http://rpm.staticthings.com/ if anyone else is
interested.

In all I am very pleased with how the upgrade went, good work guys and
gals!

regards
Daniel