1. Update your system.
Make sure your system is up-to-date, and double-check if you still encounter the same bug.
If not, that means that an installed update may have fixed the bug – you may stop here.
2. Reproduce the bug.
Make sure you can reproduce the bug, and how you do it.
If not, it will be difficult for developers to identify and fix this bug. But if you still think this is important enough to be reported, continue.
3. Go to bugs.mageia.org.
4. Search for a similar bug.
This bug may have been reported already. So search for it using the search box.
If there is one such similar bug:
- has it been resolved already? does the proposed resolution work for you?
- is it still pending resolution? then try to see if you can add relevant information into the comments section of the bug (bottom of the page).
- do you want to be notified of updates relative to this bug? then add yourself in the Cc list.
If you found no similar bug, or if the resolution doesn't work for you, you may continue.
5. File a new bug.
Choose the Product, Component, Version, Hardware Platform that best match the context of this bug. Put the name of the Source RPM of the package (see below for more details).
Write a clear summary explaining the bug, in a few words.
Explain the bug in details, following the template provided to you in the report form.
Attach the documents that seem relevant and informative about this bug.
Assign the bug to the packager maintainer (or let the triage team add it)
Post your bug.
Document your bug!
It is crucial that you gather information about your bug:
- what is the software involved? what is the package, source package of it?
- who is the maintainer?
- do you have a log file or a screenshot that may help demonstrate the problem?
$ rpm -qi package
will give you a lot of informations about a package already: source package name, maintainer, etc.
6. Follow up.
Your bug will be reviewed by the Triage team and/or the maintainer of the package, or other contributors. It will help a lot that you answer their questions so they can get a better picture of the issue at hand and fix it more quickly.
Similarly, your bug may be silently fixed in a later release. If so, consider closing your bug on your own.
7. Thank you!
Thanks to take the time to report to us about your experience of Mageia. This will help make it a better operating system for everyone.
For a more detailed description of how to report a bug.